Tuesday, September 22, 2009

humanities

The Lord of the Flies Chapter 2#
Fire on the mountain “Rule number 2”
Perspective: Simon

My legs are sleepy from walking up the mountains several times today. After we climbed the mountain Ralph decides that since were on an island and we are going to get rescued soon we should help the grown ups out by having a fire that produces smoke to get there attention. When a little boy maybe 8 years old asks for the shell the other boys laugh at him but when he finally speaks up the boys states there is a beastie that changes into branches and vines. And wants to eat us, boys laugh and capering but I do wonder if there is a “Beastie” and if were in danger. Jack yells fire and Jack and I run up the mountain with the rest of the kids the sun is shining and reflects off the water that we can see clearly as we descend up the mountain, I can hear a light yell from the back of the several kids running behind us. We begin to make a pile of wood from the scar from the plane crash. We make a pile of bark on the top of the mountain as Ralph and Jack use there strength to lift the bark up over the rocks. When the pile begins to take shape Jack pinches Piggy’s glasses and lifts it up into the sky till smoke steams through the branches. I watch as Piggy complains trying to get his glasses back, which I have to admit, began to get annoying. I still grab fire wood and through it in the pile. Piggy holds the conch shell close to him and it seems almost unnecessary till he begins talking and Jack yells at him to shut up. Breaking the first rule, the fight goes on till Piggy yells and says that the rules never applies to Jack while Piggy talks. Jack blames piggy for not doing any work and not collecting the fire wood. I swallow hard before saying, “Well he may not have helped collect firewood but we used his glasses to start the fire. And he is holding the conch so it won’t break.” I accomplish saying that much and standing up for Piggy. And that makes me different from most of the boys on the island. Ralph makes the law that the conch applies anywhere on the island and whoever holds it, is the one who has order and the right to speak.
The thing about the conch is retains order in a way that keeps balance and peace. Without it would be chaotic and there would be screaming and nothing would get done. Piggy continues his rant and says that he didn’t get names. And that shook Ralph’s face right off into a frown. Piggy continues. After you went on your search to see if this is an island the boys ran around like flies in and out of the jungle it was impossible to count. And when you got back things became calm so I tried to count again but then everyone yelled FIRE.” I almost felt bad for Piggy cause it looked almost as if he was about to cry. But before I can say anything Piggy continues, “How you do know all the boys are up here.” He points down to where the fire broke loose into the jungle errantly. “The boy that called beastie I haven’t seen him how do you know he still isn’t down there?” I begin to search around looking for him. Ralph searches to but we know the truth. He is missing and he could very well be burning the wild fire we just created full of ebullience. Jack says to Ralph, I will split up my hunters to tend the fire so it won’t loose control.” Jack agrees and we head back down to the beach where we had our first meeting. I lay on my mat thinking of the beastie and the boy and is he martyred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire

Fire
this is what i imagend what it looked like when the fire broke loose on the island